Nebraska–North Dakota



  

Haunted Locations: Nebraska

State Capital Building
Lincoln, Nebraska
The State Capitol Building is Nebraska’s third state capitol building and is the product of a nationwide design competition won by New York architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue in 1920. Nicknamed The Tower of the Plains, and made of Indiana limestone, the four hundred foot building took ten years to complete at a cost of approximately ten million dollars. The observation deck in the capitol building is a very interesting place to visit. If you stop and listen carefully there is a good chance you will hear a man sobbing and weeping as though he has a broken heart. There is nobody around except for what has become known as the “ghost of the observation deck”. This is not the only sound that you will hear. There have been several tragedies here. It is stated that a man fell to his death while changing a light bulb. A visitor to the building climbed the stairwell, which was very steep and narrow. He leaned over the railing to see to the bottom and also fell to his death after becoming dizzy. Many visitors have said that they have seen a black mass on the stairs and have heard screaming or crying. They have also heard loud footsteps in the stairwell and experienced an eerie feeling of not being alone even though they were.

Dana College
Blair, Nebraska
The Dana School began as a preparatory school and by the early 1900s was awarding Associates Degrees. In the 1930s Dana became an accredited four-year school, and began awarding Bachelor’s Degrees. It original purpose was to be a pre seminary school for people preparing for ministry in the Lutheran Church. In November of 1923, a Hall was opened, originally as women’s dormitory and was later named Argo Hall. Many people consider Dana College to be one of the most haunted places in Nebraska. The first haunted building is the Madsen Fine Arts Centre. There a numerous accounts from students and teachers alike of a black shadow walking up and down the aisles and the sounds of a piano playing when no one is in the room. Elkhorn hall is believed to be haunted by a football player because of the sound of cleats that can be heard running up and down the hall. Dark shadowy figures are seen in other buildings around the campus, doors have been known to open and close on their own, TVs and radios turn on and off by themselves, objects have been seen levitating, and people have reported being touched and hearing eerie whispers when no one is around them. Unexplainable cold spots are also common in many of the buildings.

Flag of Nevada  

Haunted Locations: Nevada

Goldfield Hotel
Goldfield, Nevada
Opened in 1908 and built on an actual abandoned gold mine this hotel had more than just its land of gold to offer. It housed 154 rooms, some to the living and some shared with the dead. One of the smaller rooms is claimed to hold the spirit of a young woman. Room 109 is said to be the home of Elizabeth, a prostitute who was held hostage in this room by a suitor named George Winfield who just happened to be the original wealthy owner of the hotel. People claim that George was obsessed with Elizabeth and lavished her with expensive gifts in return for her affection. Shortly after the relationship blossomed he found out the Elizabeth was pregnant with another man’s child. George had no intentions of keeping this baby once he found out and wanted no one else to know of Elizabeth’s dirty little tryst so he chained her in his room until she had the baby. Shortly after having the baby Elizabeth died, in the exact room she was held hostage. In fact, Mr. Winfield never let Elizabeth leave the room once she had the baby but let her rot in 109. The baby was never seen and was rumored to have been thrown down an old shaft at the one end of the building. People claim that room109 is haunted by the spirit of Elizabeth who never got to leave the room. They claim she is still searching for her baby. Elizabeth has been known to show up in pictures taken at the hotel, which is why people insist on doing investigations in 109. Successful ghost hunts have been conducted and confirm that Elizabeth definitely likes her picture taken. Not only does Elizabeth seek eternal comfort in the ravishing hotel but she has others who choose to stay as well, one being the original owner himself, George. A man who liked his cigars still leaves a faint smell for the workers and guest to wonder about. After many investigations into this hotel other investigators and researchers have come across spirits of young children and have heard faint footsteps and the smell of lilacs in the 2nd floor hallway. One story also claims that there is such thing as the “stabbing” room in which a ghost actually comes at you and attempts to stab you. Psychics have also stated that this hotel is one of the 7 portals to the other side. Unfortunately the hotel closed its doors in 1945 and has passed through the hands of many promising owners but no one has reopened the hotel so we are left to guess and hope that a researcher or investigator can keep providing us with more information of the ghosts that remain at the Goldfield.

Flamingo Hotel And Casino
Las Vegas, Nevada
Bugsy Siegel, a man, a legend in Las Vegas, Nevada. Some hold him personally responsible for creating Vegas and its strip. In December of 1946 Bugsy created his greatest vision and that would be the takeover of the Flamingo hotel from Mr. Billy Wilkerson. Siegel named the hotel after the nickname he gave his girlfriend Virginia Hill. At the time the Flamingo was considered a plush hotel and housed 77 rooms which back in the day was considered a lot. Not only did Siegel build the Flamingo for everyday patrons but he also added touches of his own to certain rooms that he would stay in. For example his “presidential suite” or “Bugsy Suite” as he would call it had bulletproof window panes and five exits when it appeared to have only one entrance. A hidden ladder was installed in the hallway closet that would lead him to the basement tunnel, which in turn led to an underground garage that held his chauffeured getaway car. Bugsy built this hotel with determination and great excitement but let’s not forget just how Bugsy got his money to build one of the biggest hotel and Casinos in Las Vegas. I’m sure his mob boss wouldn’t like to be left out of this story. And that’s how Bugsy got his money, by asking his mob boss to float him the cash to start renovations. The hotel wasn’t as successful as Bugsy had hoped. Some say it had to do with the huge cost to build the Flamingo. Bugsy’s original amount was too low to create his extravagant idea and the hotel ended up costing three times the original amount. Even with the mob influence in Vegas the hotel wasn’t attracting any business. The grand opening was a flop and the hotel didn’t start to make money until a few months later. Once the flamingo started to turn a profit Bugsy seemed more at ease and felt that the pressure was off him to prove that he could succeed with no experience. Eventually the hotel business had more perks for Bugsy then he realized and he started to skim off the top of the hotels profit. With an unlimited bank account and everyone thinking he had nothing but success in his life, Bugsy felt relaxed and often left the hotel to go home to Los Angeles. Unfortunately someone had tipped off the mob bosses back home to Bugsy’s taking from the hotel and in his less equipped home in Los Angeles Bugsy was shot several times. On June 20th, 1947 exactly 6 months from the opening of the Flamingo Bugsy Siegel was killed. Today the Flamingo has been rebuilt to grow with today’s culture. Harrah’s Entertainment, the current owner is proud to boast about the hotel’s 3,626 rooms. Once the original Flamingo was torn down and rebuilt there have been several claims of paranormal existence. When the sun starts to go down some people claim they see the ghost of a man in the new garden. People have also claimed over the years that they have seen Bugsy’s spirit in one of the suites, wedding chapel and around the Bugsy monument placed in the garden. Some people will say that he holds a special place in his heart for the flamingo and chooses to be here after his time. So come to Vegas for the games and shows. But don’t forget to try and search for the tunnels in the flamingo built by Bugsy himself. Rumor has it that they still exist today.

Flag of New Hampshire   State seal of New Hampshire

Haunted Locations: New Hampshire

Three Chimneys Inn
Durham, New Hampshire
In 1649 Valentine Hill and Thomas Bear were granted the fall of Oyster River to setup a sawmill. The lumber milled here was for use mainly in the ship building industry. He also owned a gristmill and had water rights at the falls. Valentine Hill built the original single story house and oldest part of the Three Chimneys Inn. In 1694 many of the nearby homes were destroyed by Indian attacks but the Valentine’s house survived. In 1699, Valentine Hill’s son Nathaniel added what now forms the entrance to the Maples and Coppers dining rooms. “Indian Shutters” were also added to protect from further attacks. The home was used during the revolutionary war as storage for munitions stolen from the British Blockhouses in Portsmouth. The house also survived a typhoid epidemic in the early 1900s. In 1998, the house became Three Chimneys Inn, and is the oldest house in Durham and one of the oldest buildings in New Hampshire. Many people believe that past owners and family have never left the Three Chimneys Inn. One restless spirit that is most often seen or felt is Hannah, a descendant of Valentine Hill who is believed to have drowned in the Oyster River. Hannah has made herself known on a number of occasions and seems to have a problem with electronics. She has caused computers to fail, printers to print with no power, and numbers to appear backwards on calculators. Employees have made mention of drawers and doors opening on their own, having their hair played with while trying to sleep and some have even seen Hannah standing and staring right back at them. It is believed that Hannah is only one of possibly several ghosts haunting the Three Chimneys Inn. There are many strange occurrences that are unexplainable. Glasses pick themselves up off the table and smash on the floor below; deadbolts tend to lock on their own, footsteps are heard in areas where no guests or employees are walking. While in the Coppers dining room, music has been known to turn on by itself. Most of the guests and staff alike have claimed to have seen, felt or heard Hannah while at the Inn.

Flag of New Jersey   State seal of New Jersey

Haunted Locations: New Jersey 

Burlington County   Prison
Mount Holly, New Jersey
Construction on the Burlington County Prison, located in the heart of Mount   Holly, New Jersey was completed in 1811 at a cost of $24,201.13. The building   was designed by architect Robert Mills and was one of his first independent architectural   designs. The interior vaulted ceilings were made of poured concrete, stone   and brick making the building virtually fireproof. The prison was originally   designed to house 40 inmates each with his or her own cell with a fireplace   and a narrow window. Each cell was also equipped with a bible. Cells were   grouped in blocks of four and were to house separate groups of criminals,   first offenders and habitual criminals. Larger rooms were to accommodate   debtors. Debtors were people who were imprisoned for owing money. The maximum   security cell known as “the dungeon” was in the centre of the upper floor of   the prison. The location of this cell was carefully chosen to minimize   communication with inmates in the cell blocks, to prevent escape by digging   and to ensure constant surveillance by the guards. The cell was the only one   that didn’t have a fireplace but it did have a metal ring in the middle of   the room that the prisoner could be chained to. The basement level contained   workshops where inmates could learn trades. In the prison yard there was a   set of leg stocks used to punish unruly inmates and hanging gallows that were   setup and dismantled for each public hanging. The prison was in use for one   hundred and fifty-four years and at the time of it’s closing in 1965 was the   oldest continually used prison in the U.S. Escape attempts at the prison were   common and happened frequently. Inmates would scale walls and punch holes   through the roof to make their escape. There are prisoners to this day who   have never been caught after escaping. Anyone who was convicted of a capital   crime was sentenced to death and many of the executions took place on the   gallows in the prison yard. The final hanging to take place at the prison was   in 1906 when George Small and Rufus Johnson were sentenced to death for   murdering Florence Allinson. There have been numerous reports of paranormal   activity in the prison, which is now a museum. The man believed to be   responsible for this activity is Joel Clough. Joel brutally murdered his girlfriend   and was sentenced to hang for it. While incarcerated at the prison Joel   managed to escape but was quickly caught and returned to the prison where he   spent his final days in the cell known as “the dungeon,” until he was hanged   in 1833. Not long after Joel’s demise inmates and guards began reporting   strange occurrences in the cell. They reported that they would hear loud   moaning and chains rattling, some even claimed to see items levitating and an   apparition. In 1999, when the building was undergoing some restorations,   workers would complain about such things as loud unexplainable noises,   temperature fluctuations, eerie voices, screaming and missing tools that   would turn up in other rooms. It is believed the prison is haunted by more   than on entity.

Flag of New Mexico   State seal of New Mexico

Haunted Locations: New Mexico 

Kimo Theatre
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The KIMO (translated “king of its kind”) theatre opened on September 19, 1927 at a cost of $150,000. It was built by Oreste Bachechi, an entrepreneur that came to the United States in 1885. In the beginning he made his money by selling liquor and grocery while his wife sold dry goods. Bachechi hired Carl Boller to design the theatre in a Native American style. Stars such as Vivian Vance, Sally Rand, Gloria Swanson and Ginger Rogers performed at this theatre. A year after the theatre opened Oreste died leaving the theatre to his sons. In 1951 the boiler in the basement exploded demolishing part of the lobby, injuring several people and killing a young boy, 6 year old Bobby Darnall. The boiler was located right below the concession stand in the lobby. Bobby had been sitting in the theatre balcony with some of his friends. He was frightened by something in the movie and ran down the staircase to the lobby. The boiler exploded just as he reached the lobby and he was killed. It is said that he haunts the theatre and taunts and plays tricks on the staff and guests of the old theatre. His ghost is often seen playing on the staircase at the place of his death. He has also been spotted in the balcony when the theatre was empty of patrons. His spirit reportedly causes performers problems by tripping them and making noise during the performances. In order to appease the spirit the cast hangs doughnuts on the water pipe that runs along the back wall of the theatre and on most mornings the treats are gone. It is reported that one year a crew took down the doughnuts and almost immediately during the technical rehearsal everything went wrong from lighting to sound trouble. When the doughnuts were replaced things went back to normal. Another tragedy befell the KIMO theatre in 1963 when a fire destroyed the original stage built in 1927 and damaged most of the building. The theatre fell into disrepair and was destined to be torn down when the citizens of Albuquerque purchased it and began restoration. Little Bobby Darnall isn’t the only reported ghost that haunts the old theatre. There is a mysterious, unknown lady wearing a bonnet that has been seen wandering around the KIMO.

Flag of New York   State seal of New York

Haunted Locations: New York 

Boldt Castle
Heart Island, New York
Mr. George Boldt, not a name you really remember or one you will find in a lot of history books, but a man who certainly made his mark in Alexandria Bay. Boldt was a wealthy man due to his great creations in the hotel chain. He once owned and operated The Bellevue hotel in Philadelphia and also the Stratford hotel (now named the Waldorf) in New York City. Boldt not only gained his popularity with his business ventures but also gained it with his wife when he bought an island just outside Alexandria Bay which borders Canada and the US and started to build his wife the house of her dreams. Boldt and his wife Louise had a love that most people would call magic. They lived and breathed only for each other. George thought his wife was a princess and Louise loved to share her husband’s passion for hotels. She spent all her time with him helping clean the rooms of his many hotels and offering ideas on renovations and designs. They played a huge role in the success in what is now the Waldorf hotel in New York. They were closer than any married couple could be. The Boldts went on to have two children. George jr in 1879 and Louise in 1883. During a summer vacation in 1895 the family came across Heart Island. Mrs.Boldt immediately took a liking to it and George wasted no time in buying it. He planned on building her the house of her dreams. They spent many summers there before George mastered his most treasured plan yet. He thought his wife deserved to live like a queen in a castle with beautiful things surrounding his beautiful wife, and the best part was he wanted her to have it as a Valentine’s Day present. George began his construction in 1900 with over 300 construction workers pouring all their time and effort into its completion. At just 1.50 an hour these men slaved almost 9 to 10 hour days. Four long years and so much money, George and his workers poured their hearts into this castle, while Louise waited patiently. During the four years that she waited Louise became frail and suffered from a heart condition and unfortunately in January 1904 Louise succumbed to her condition. Right away Mr. Boldt contacted the workers and ordered an end to the construction on the 60,000 square foot, 120 room masterpieces. Never to really enjoy his castle on what is now called “Heart Island”, Mr. Boldt never stepped foot on the island again. Mr. Boldt died years later in 1916, leaving behind his unfinished work. Now here is where the story begins again. Many locals or tourist claim that they have seen Mrs. Boldt, some claiming they have seen her just months after she passed, on Heart Island. What’s even stranger is she has even been seen inside her unfinished castle. People claim they see this lady in white walking along the waters by her boathouse and mysterious lights going on inside when the castle is closed. Now with renovations continuing since around 1977 some say that the construction is awakening her again, many people have heard footsteps inside on floors above them. A folklore that has people talking about was her death, did she really die? Or run off with another man? Many people ask this question because of the sudden change of heart Mr. Boldt had in building the castle on Heart Island. Whatever the case may be Boldt castle will always have a special hold on anyone who visits whether it be for the love story or the ghost.

Flag of North Carolina   State seal of North Carolina

Haunted Locations: North Carolina 

The Hammock House
Beaufort, North Carolina
The Hammock House is the oldest and most haunted house in Beaufort, North Carolina. The house was originally built on a hammock, or high ground, on the shore of an inlet leading to the Atlantic Ocean so passing ships could see it from a distance and served as a shipping landmark until the late eighteenth century. Robert Turner was one of the first to occupy the house, and was the person who had the town of Beaufort plotted in 1713. In 1711 a trap door added as a means to escape during the war with the Indians. The most famous house dweller was Edward Teach, aka, Blackbeard the Pirate. He and his crew used the house as a resting point and a place to plot their pirating. The paranormal activity at The Hammock House is believed to have started with Blackbeard. He is believed to have killed one of his many wives, an eighteen year old girl, during one of his many visits to the house. He was so angry with her that he hung her from an oak tree at the rear of the house and then buried her under that same tree. To this day her screams can be heard around the house. The next story surrounding the ghostly activity is one of betrayal. A woman living in the house was engaged to be married to a British Navy Captain. When he returned to the house he began to hear rumors about his wife to be. He was told that she was cheating with another man. The Captain became enraged with anger and hurried up to the house where he found his fiancée inside with another man. Irate, the Captain slaughtered the man only to find out later that the man was actually the woman’s brother. People have reported hearing loud piercing screams in that location of the house. It is believed to be the man that was brutally murdered by the captain. Richard Russell Jr. owned the house in 1747. Returning home from one of his sea voyages he became angry with one of his slaves. He brought the slave up to the attic room, intending to punish him, but the slave turned on him and shoved him down the stairs. When he reached the bottom his neck had been broken and he was dead. People have reported feeling like they are being shoved at the top of those stairs. Others have reported a thumping sound on the stairs, as if something (or someone) was falling down. In 1862 the Union Forces claimed control of Beaufort. They came upon The Hammock House and believed it would be a good outpost. Three soldiers were sent to investigate the house but they vanished and were never heard from again until nearly forty years later when human bones were discovered near the back of the house. The bones are believed to be those of the three soldiers. The sounds of heavy boots tramping around the house are believed to be caused by the ghost of these three soldiers.

Flag of North Dakota   State seal of North Dakota

Haunted Locations: North Dakota

Home Sweet Home
Minot, North Dakota
Now an antique shop, this old four story building is haunted by two ghost. The first ghost is that of a man who hanged himself in the attic. Now blocked off by a door, the attic constantly has a frigid draft. Also the candy in the room is moved from dusty jar to dusty jar; there are never any fingerprints, however. The other phantom is that of a man that drowned in the river behind the house. At 4:39 AM, the time of the man’s death, it is said that the accident may be witnessed again.