Maryland–Minnesota



  

Haunted Locations: Maryland

Fort McHenry
Baltimore, Maryland
Fort McHenry was established in March of 1825 and named after James McHenry, an Irish immigrant and surgeon who became Secretary of War under President Washington. Shaped like a star, it was built to defend the Port of Baltimore from enemy attacks, and was successful in doing so when British warships attacked in 1814. They continuously bombarded the fort for 25 hours but were unsuccessful in penetrating the American defense. The bombardment ceased and the Americans only suffered four casualties. Francis Scott Key, a Washington lawyer who had come to Baltimore to negotiate the release of a civilian prisoner of war, Dr. William Beanes, witnessed the bombardment from a nearby truce ship. An oversized American flag had been sewn by Mary Pickersgill in anticipation of the British attack on the fort. When Key saw the flag emerge intact the next morning, he was so moved that he began to compose the poem “The Defense of Fort McHenry” which was renamed “The Star Spangled Banner” and became America’s national anthem. During the American Civil War, Fort McHenry served as a military prison, confining both Confederate soldiers as well as a large number of Maryland political figures who were suspected of being Confederate sympathizers in the dungeons. Francis Scott Key’s grandson was one of these political detainees. One of the people is said to have killed himself there and he is believed to be one of the ghosts haunting the fort. People have reported seeing the apparition of a man marching along the parapets on the fort. Furniture has been know to move on its own, strange lights have been seen throughout the fort, footsteps can be heard when no one is around, lights turn themselves on and off, doors open and slam shut and windows have been known to open and close seemingly on their own. After the fort closes and all tourists are gone, employees have reported hearing strange voices.

Admiral Fell Inn
Baltimore, Maryland
Fell’s Point is a historic waterfront village that was founded in 1730 by William Fell, an immigrant for Lancaster England, who was attracted by its beautiful deep water and proximity to agriculture and thick forests. It became known as a ship building and commercial centre and is the birthplace of the Baltimore Clipper, a topsail schooner. In the 1760s, William’s son Edward laid out streets and plots for homes. By 1773 Fells Point was incorporated with Baltimore Town and Jones Town. In 1889 The Anchorage was established by the Port Mission Women’s Auxiliary as a boarding house and safe haven for seamen. Due to the increasing amount of sailors additional space was required to accommodate them. The surrounding buildings were joined to boarding house to provide additional space. The YMCA took over in 1929 and converted the expanded boarding house into a one hundred and five bed seaman’s YMCA and continued to provide lodging for seamen until 1955. The interconnected buildings were transformed into a vinegar bottling factory which lasted until the mid 1970s. The Anchorage buildings remained un-occupied until 1985 when they were renovated and re-opened as the Admiral Fell Inn, a 38 room Bed and Breakfast in an 18th century European style. In the 1990s the Admiral Fell Inn was expanded into 80 rooms. The hotel is reported to be haunted by more than one entity. There are stories of a man who died in room 413 and ever since guests and employees have reported having strange feelings in that room. Feelings as if someone was staring at them and watching their every move. Cold spots are also felt in the room. There is another story about a manager that was sitting alone in the lobby when the hotel was empty who heard noises that sounded like a party coming from an upstairs floor. Voices and footsteps could be heard as if people were dancing. When another manager entered the lobby and began to speak the noise ceased instantly. A guest of the hotel has also reported be awoken by the sound of creaking floor boards. When he opened his eyes he saw the apparition of a tall, slender woman who looked at him then vanished through the wall. She is believed to be a nurse who worked at the boarding house in the 1800s.

Middleton Tavern
Annapolis, Maryland
An 18th century Georgian building and one of the oldest buildings in Annapolis originally built in the early 1700s. The building was sold in 1750 by Elizabeth Bennett to a ferry operator named Horatio Middleton. He operated the building as an Inn for seamen. Following his death, the tavern was operated by his widow and later by his sons. There have been many important historic figures that have stayed at the tavern, including but not limited to George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson. The tavern was also the site for meetings of the Maryland Jockey Club, Free Masons and the Tuesday Club, which was made up of the town’s most distinguished people. Many people have witnessed strange occurrences at the tavern. The first entity is referred to as “Roland” by the staff. He haunts the first floor dining rooms and is known to throw glasses and plates from shelves one by one, move tables and chairs and has even knocked over tables that were full of dishes. These experiences are accompanied by the smell of cigar smoke. An apparition of a man dressed in revolutionary era clothing has been spotted staring through the window out into the harbor as if waiting for a ship to roll in. As quickly as he is seen, he disappears. There have also been many reports of shadowy figures moving from room to room and lanterns mounted on the walls are reportedly turned upside down.

Flag of Massachusetts   State seal of Massachusetts

Haunted Locations: Massachusetts

Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast
Fall River, Massachusetts
On August 4th, 1892 on a typical day in Fall River, Massachusetts, Andrew Jackson Borden a local business man came home from his daily routine around town, hitting places like the post office and bank. At 10:30 am Mr. Borden decided that he would take a quick nap on his sofa. He left his shoes on so he kept his feet on the floor and just rested his head on the back of his couch. Not once did Mr. Borden wonder where his family was. His Wife Abbey was nowhere to be found and his daughters Emma and Lizzie were not accounted for either. Mr. Borden took this as a perfect opportunity to catch a nap. Mr. Borden was a seventy year old successful business man in the community and was on the board of directors for several banks and commercial land properties. He was a successful landlord and owned several properties. Mr. Borden didn’t know that this would be the longest nap of his life. Mr. Borden wasn’t alone in the house. His maid Bridget Sullivan was upstairs and his youngest daughter Lizzie was also home. Bridget Sullivan claims that she was napping up on the 3rd floor when she heard Lizzie yelling from down below claiming that someone had killed her father. There on the couch lay Mr. Borden slumped down and blood splattered everywhere. What also came as a surprise was Mrs. Borden was also found dead, laying upstairs beside her bed. When the police came to investigate they discovered that the Borden’s had been killed by a sharp tool such as an axe. Eighteen blows to Mrs. Borden’s head and eleven blows to Mr. Borden’s head. In the weeks leading up to the murders a doctor had made a house call to the residences because Mrs. Borden received an anonymous note from someone that her family was being poisoned. The family did complain of flu like symptoms even before this note arrived at their door. However, Mr. Borden sent the doctor the other way stating that he was not going to pay for a house call when he was in good health. To this day rumors fly about who killed the Borden parents. One is that Lizzie was having an affair with the maid and her step mother walked in and was in awe. Lizzie was so embarrassed that she killed her stepmother so that she wouldn’t tell anyone. Another rumor is that an illegitimate son was the murderer and even sent a letter stating his confession. Lizzie did go to trial for the murders but was acquitted of all charges. One thing is for certain and that is that someone does not want to let go of the house that they once occupied. Many ghost hunters have tried to piece together the missing links in the Lizzie Borden story. Did she kill her parents? Was she a lesbian? Where is the murder weapon that never was accounted for? And does she still haunt the Borden residence in Fall River Mass? There are claims that the house, now a bed and breakfast is haunted. People who have spent the night have seen things they cannot explain. One couple saw a pair of their shoes fly up and what appeared to them as being thrown against a wall. Others claim someone in a long dress tucks them in at night. Also footsteps can be heard in the hallways. A séance was conducted back in 2005 and the initial feeling from the psychic was of sadness. The psychic also felt this feeling of protection, but not from Lizzie like everyone thought but from the maid at the time. After the investigation of the house the husband of the psychic went upstairs to rest but was unsettled by this sudden pressure over him holding him down to his bed. He decided to go down to the washroom and freshen up. The B&B provides you with a ton of memories from the time when the Borden’s lived in the house and one is in the bathroom. Lizzie was fond of pears so they placed hand soap that is pear scented in the washroom. While William was washing up he used the soap and felt happy about his choice of hand soap. He Believed that someone was in there as well and was also happy with his choice He claimed the air changed and also that a voice popped into his head and said “what can be thrown but not caught?” and then a reply along with what felt like a laugh, saying “a voice”. One other strange occurrence is a chair that moves from room to room. The list of claims is endless at this residence and is one that should be checked out for yourself. A full length movie, hundreds of books and thousands of stories and experiences can’t be wrong.

  

Haunted Locations: Michigan

Murphy’s Lamplight Inn
Central Lake, Michigan
The Lamplight Inn was built in 1924 by three local stone masons and was originally named WEGOTA. The bar and dining area was at the north end of the hotel with a total of 22 rooms and four bathrooms upstairs and at the south end of the first floor. For years transportation was provided to and from the train depot for patrons, which made it a favorite stop for traveling salesmen. The hotel eventually closed and remained unused for several years. It was bought by Cliff and Etta Springstead who reopened the hotel and served home cooked meals. The hotel was sold again in 1946 to Charles and Ruth Cronover and Archie Dayton. The new owners offered a pickup service to take hotel patrons from the train station to the hotel and back. They rented one of the rooms in the southwest corner of the building to a local beautician named Louise Hebden. In the mid 1960s the hotel was sold once again to Gary Morse who changed the name to The Palace. Renovations changed the appearance of the building. The bar was moved to the south end of the hotel, the dining room was enlarged, living quarters were added to the second floor and a barroom was added to the basement. Entertainment was also added along with seafood and all you can eat buffets. Doug and Mary Lou Denny purchased The Palace in the mid 1970s and changed the name to Lamplight Inn. They continued the renovations by redecorating several upstairs rooms and adding an outside entrance to the lower level pub. Ted and Betty Strzempek bought the hotel in 1986. They continued updating and redecorating the building and after the first year they discontinued the bed and breakfast and the pub to focus on the dining aspect of the business. In 1996 Mary Ellen Murphy moved her entire family from Dearborn and bought the Lamplight Inn. The Inn was once again renamed to Murphy’s Lamplight Inn. Since the early 1950s, the owners of the Inn along with employees and guests have reported paranormal activity. There have been eerily similar reports of a man and a woman dressed in early thirties clothing wandering the building. Recently it has been reported that the pair had been seen dancing in the bar area as the apparition of a little girl watched. They have also been seen looking out of upstairs windows. There is another story that tells of the daughter of a former hotel manager, who was preparing to elope with her fiancée, tripped on her gown and fell to her death. She has been seen numerous times walking the upstairs hallway. Often, she can be seen walking into one of the rooms but when the room is checked no one is there. Another entity that is believed to be haunting the Lamplight Inn is Mrs. Gill. She, along with her husband was the first manager of the Inn. She returned to the Inn to live out her remaining years and in the 1950s she died in one of the upstairs rooms. She is often seen staring out of one of the upstairs windows.

Detroit Masonic Temple
Detroit, Michigan
The Detroit Masonic Temple was designed in the neo-gothic architectural style, using a great deal of limestone for its materials by George Mason, one of Detroit’s premier architects of the time. The cornerstone was placed on September 19, 1922 using the same trowel that George Washington had used to set the cornerstone of the United States Capitol in Washington D.C. The building contains 14 floors and has 1037 rooms inside. The building also serves as headquarters to fifty Detroit-area Masonic organizations. Such a large building was necessary as the old building became too small to house all the Masonic bodies. Story has it that George Mason supported the funding of the project with his own money eventually went bankrupt and was left by his wife. It is told that he was so depressed that he leapt to his death from the roof of the building. To this day people have reported seeing the ghost of George Mason in and around the building. He is mostly seen at the bottom of the stairs the lead up to the roof. There have also been reports of cold spots, shadows and doors slamming on their own.

Orchestra Hall
Detroit, Michigan
Orchestra Hall was built in 1919, in four months and 23 days, because Ossip Gabrilowitsch demanded that the Detroit Symphony Orchestra build a suitable auditorium before he assumed his position as music director. The 2014 seat hall was designed by architect C. Howard Crane. It was home to the orchestra until 1939, when due to the financial difficulties of the Great Depression, they had to enter a more economical arrangement at the Masonic Temple Theater. Orchestra Hall was renamed Paradise Theater in 1941, and became a major jazz venue, hosting such renowned jazz musicians as Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Count Basie and Duke Ellington. With the creation of an adjoining auditorium for jazz and chamber music in 2003, Orchestra Hall became part of the Max M. Fisher Music Center which included and a new store for Detroit Symphony Orchestra merchandise. In 1951, the Paradise closed; the building was abandoned for several years and was scheduled for demolition. Detroit Symphony Orchestra bassoonist Paul Ganson started a fundraiser movement to restore Orchestra Hall and add it to the National Register of Historic Places. Renovations started in 1970 and The Detroit Symphony Orchestra moved back into Orchestra Hall in 1989. Orchestra Hall is also where the mayor of Detroit delivers the annual State of the City address. Throughout the years many people have reported seeing the apparition of Ossip Gabrilowitsch, the former music director walk through the room that used to be his office and also in rehearsal rooms.

Flag of Minnesota  

Haunted Locations: Minnesota

Pipestone County Museum
Pipestone,Minnesota
Pipestone City Hall was constructed in 1896 in only seven months in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The Richardsonian Romanesque style became popular during the late nineteenth century because of its association with the industrialization of America. The robust stone arches and fortified walls symbolized strength and masculinity. The building originally housed the fire department, government offices and the city water system. Until 1960 the building also housed a public library, gymnasium, teen center, city lock up and meeting hall. In 1966 the building was deeded to the Pipestone County Historical Society and two years later after major renovations the Pipestone County Museum was opened. There have been a number of reports by people who claim to have seen the apparition of a young blonde haired girl. She wears a blue nineteenth century dress with a white apron and wanders the building. Other people have reported hearing footsteps and stomping on the floor upstairs. Voices can also be heard upstairs when it is known that no one is up there. Chairs are also known to move on their own accord.