Georgia–Hawaii



  

Haunted Locations: Georgia

Shakespeare Tavern
Atlanta, Georgia
In 1990 the Atlanta Shakespeare Company opened the Shakespeare Tavern. Since the Tavern opened The Atlanta Shakespeare Company has produced over 73 plays, presenting 1,600 plus performances including more than 30 Shakespeare titles and over 18 period classics. In 1999 The Shakespeare Tavern underwent a $1.6 million renovation and expansion, in October, 1999, The Atlanta Shakespeare Company opened the New American Shakespeare Tavern. Despite all the changes to the building, there is one thing remained the same-the ghosts that inhabit it. Many people have seen the ghost of a little boy dressed in clothing from the 1800s in and around the men’s dressing room. Employees, actors and guest alike have claimed to see unexplained apparitions and to have heard strange noises and voices. Strange images and lights appear from nowhere. There have been reports of a female spirit who haunts the ladies’ dressing room often moving things around. The ghost of an old man has been seen on a number of occasions. A shadowy figure has been spotted on the catwalk and when the theatre is known to be empty, a group of voices can be heard as if there was a group of people having a conversation.

Braselton Town Hall
Braselton, Georgia
Incorporated in 1916 In 1876 William Harrison Braselton bought 800 acres of land and built a plantation on it. His eldest son, William Henry, served as the first mayor of Braselton. Descendents of the Braseltons continued to serve on the city council until 2001. In 1887 one of William Braselton’s sons, John Oliver, then eight years old, constructed a six-foot-by-six-foot merchandise house in the yard to sell items to the farmhands on the plantation. Eventually, his two brothers joined in his investment, and with their father’s encouragement, the miniature store turned into a thriving business along the railroad tracks that ran through the family’s property. The store sold groceries, dry goods, notions, shoes, and millinery and clothing. John Oliver, who was dubbed “Little John,” is believed to still inhabit the house. Employees at the Town Hall tell stories of objects being moved around, the sounds of strange knocking and footsteps in the stairwell after hours when the building is closed. They say that in the morning when they return to work, they find desk drawers and cabinet doors opened when they were closed the night before. They believe it is Little John trying to get their attention. There are also reports of people seeing one of the former Braselton matrons in and around the downstairs bathroom.

Springer Opera House
Columbus, Georgia
The Springer Opera House was built by Francis Joseph Springer, an immigrant from Alsace, France who moved to Columbus before the Civil War. He became prosperous in the grocery business but dreamt of building a European style theatre here on the banks of this great Southern waterway. The Springer Opera House opened February 21, 1871 and soon became nationally known as the finest house between Washington and New Orleans. In 1964, the theatre where was slated for demolition but with community support the funds were raised to save the Opera House and after some renovations the building reopened in 1965. The Springer Opera House had many renowned performers including Edwin Booth, the brother of John Wilkes Booth and the man who assassinated Abraham Lincoln. Although Edwin Booth is now dead, his ghost now haunts the Spring Opera House. Booth has been seen in the lobby, on the stage where he used to perform and even in the box seats. He sits on the balcony and watches the actors perform and also moves props around on the stage. There is the ghost of a little girl that can be heard laughing in one of the dressing rooms. She likes to move the mannequins and clothing around. There have been reports of shadow figures moving around the building. Objects disappear, doors open and close by themselves, and strange voices and music can be heard when the building is empty.

  

Haunted Locations: Hawaii

State Capitol Building
Honolulu, Hawaii
Located in downtownHonolulu, the Hawaii State Capitol was commissioned and dedicated by John A. Burns, second Governor of Hawaii. It opened on March 15, 1969 and replaced the former statehouse, ‘IolaniPalace. Unlike other state capitols modeled after the United States Capitol, the Hawaii State Capitol’s distinct architectural features symbolize various natural aspects ofHawaii. The building is surrounded by a reflecting pool, symbolizing thePacific Ocean. The two legislative chambers are cone-shaped, symbolizing volcanoes that formed theHawaiian Islands. The columns around the perimeter of the building have shapes resembling coconut trees. Locals and visitors alike have reported sightings of Queen Liliuokalani, the last monarch of the Hawaiian Islands around theCapitolBuilding. In 1982, a legislative aide had stayed very late at work and at 2 a.m., she called her husband to pick her up. Her husband along with their ten year old daughter drove to pick her up and waited in the basement. While playing with a ball outside the daughter allegedly encountered a Hawaiian woman fitting the description of the queen. The woman was barefoot, in a black dress with her hair up. By the time the little girl told her parents about the woman she saw, the woman had mysteriously vanished. On a separate occasion, the mother and daughter went to theStateCapitolBuilding for the unveiling of the then new Queen Liliuokalani statue. The girl identified the queen as the woman she had played with in the Capitol basement a few weeks earlier. People have smelled the strong odor of cigar smoke and have seen thick clouds of smoke in the basement of theCapitolBuilding. The cigar smoke could be attributed to Queen Liliuokalani’s spirit or the spirit ofHawaii’s second governor, John Burns. Both enjoyed a good cigar.

Iao Theatre
Wailuku,Maui
Opened in 1928, this theatre was once the main entertainment venue of the city ofWailuku. Charlie Chaplin, Bob Hope, and Frank Sinatra performed at the Spanish Mission-style Theatre. The theatre is named for the massive, verdant valley that opens up in theWestMauiMountains just above Wailuku. By the early 80s, the theater was in decline, and after it closed, was threatened with demolition. With help from the community the theatre underwent a renovation costing over one million dollars. In 1995 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior. Over the years there have been many reports of supernatural activity in the theatre. Many actors and employees have reported seeing spirits floating around the dressing rooms. Strange voices can be heard throughout the building. When you enter the theatre there is the feeling that someone is watching your every move. It has been reported that doors will open and close on there own and items in the building will be moved around by an unseen hand.

Dole Cannery Signature Theatres
Honolulu,Hawaii
In 1991, the original Dole Cannery closed its operations and was transformed into a multi-purpose facility with media studios, conference rooms and ballrooms. Theatre number 14 is believed to be haunted by the ghost of a man in his late 50s. He is said to leer at members of the audience from a corner seat at the top of the theater. The bathroom next to the theater is also believed to be haunted. In the 1980s a school bus carrying a group of children crashed into the building killing everyone on board. The sounds of children crying and screaming can be heard coming from the bathroom.