Alabama–Arkansas



  

Haunted Locations: Alabama                                                                  

The Sloss Furnaces
Birmingham,Alabama
The Sloss Furnaces, located in downtownBirmingham, are undoubtedly the most famous and haunted place in the centralAlabamaarea. In 1881 and 1882,North Alabamaplanter and investor James Withers Sloss built the furnaces which became known as the City Furnaces. Extensively rebuilt and modernized in the late 1920s, the current steel-jacketed furnaces employed an estimated 500 workers and produced 400 tons of pig iron daily. Sloss-Sheffield Steel and Iron Company and U. S. Pipe operated these furnaces, maintaining their position as a leading foundry iron producer until 1971. For years a cruel foreman on the midnight shift at the furnaces worked his men relentlessly under grueling conditions, with temperatures often rising above 120 degrees. This resulted in an unusual number of deaths, causing the company to eventually do away with the midnight shift. Paranormal activity in this place consists of sounds, temperature changes, feelings of being watched, and streaks and orbs. Of the many deaths that occurred, only two of the dead have come back as ghosts. One of these ghosts is Theophilus Calvin. In 1887, he became assistant foundry man at the Alice Furnace No. 1. One day, he was trying to change the bell on theAlicefurnace when he lost his balance and fell into the molten iron. Not long after the accident, people reported seeing his ghost walking around, doing his job and checking to make sure that things were being done correctly. When theAlicefurnace was abandoned, his ghost began to be seen at the Sloss furnaces. In the early 1900’s, there was a young girl who was pregnant, that committed suicide by jumping into the furnace. There is a building at the Sloss Furnaces that has a large amount of paranormal activity. It’s called theBlowingEngineBuilding. Built in 1902, it is the oldest building still standing at the Sloss Furnaces. Workers in this building have said that they will set something down and a little while later it will have been moved to a different location. They have also seen doors opening and closing on there own.

The Russell Cave
Bridgeport,Alabama
RussellCave is a sacred burial site that traces back ten thousand years of human history. There is evidence of prehistoric burial customs which progressed from throwing bodies off cliffs, to burial mounds, to elaborate entombment. If not the most haunted site in the State, then certainly one of the most active in terms of other paranormal activity. The major attraction to this site is the presence of an ancient burial ground. Numerous visitors to the Park claim to have experienced strange occurrences. Many people have claimed such things as the mysterious malfunction of cameras and other electrical equipment and foggy, humanlike images in their pictures when they developed the film. Other people have recorded strange sounds at the site. These sounds include whispery and sobbing voices and sounds of flute-like instruments.

Hell’s Gate
Oxford,Alabama
It is said that if one stops on the bridge inOxford,Alabama and then turns around, the road behind him looks like the fiery gates of Hell. Many years ago, a young couple lost their lives on this bridge. On a dark night, if you stop on the bridge and turns off all the lights, one of the two people that lost their lives will get into the car, leaving a wet spot on the seat.

Tallapoosa Entertainment Center
Montgomery,Alabama
TheTallapoosaEntertainmentCenter is located on the banks of theTallapoosaRiver. The casino was built beside some very old Indian burial grounds. Employees have reported feelings of someone standing next to them when no one is around and of voices whispering in their ear when they are alone in the room. Other odd occurrences include slot machines playing by themselves, ice cubes leaping out of people’s drinks and doors opening and closing on their own. Maintenance people have reported seeing a shadowy apparition in the parking lot.

Moundville Archeological Park
Moundville,Alabama
Moundville is a 1,000 year old Mississippian-era Indian village consisting of 26 earthen mounds arranged in a rectangular shape. It is believed that between 800-1400 AD, Moundville was home to as many as five thousand indigenous people, making it perhaps the largest city in North America. Thousands of burials took place there, some of which may have been within the mounds, but most of which are situated in the surrounding grounds. This is an area packed with noticeable energy from the moment you drive into the site. Stories of many different kinds of occurrences have been reported here, including unusual lights and sounds, orbs, cold spots and mists.

Sturdivant Hall
Selma,Alabama
The land on which Sturdivant Hall stands was purchased I 1852 for $1830 by Edward T. Watts. Mr. Watts had the house built for his family in 1853 at a cost of $69,000. The Watts family lived in the home until 1864 when it was sold to John McGee Parkman for a loss at $65,000. Mr. Parkman worked his way up from clerk to president of the First national Bank of Selma. The bank became engaged in cotton speculation which led to the seizure of the bank and arrest of its president by General Wager Swayne, Commander of the Federal troops in Selma. John was sent to the Cahaba prison where during the war POWs were kept. On one fateful night John drowned in the Alabama River while trying to escape. In 1870 John’s beloved house was conveyed to Emile Gillman for $12,500. The home remained in the Gillman family until 1957. That same year $50,000 was given from the estate of Robert Daniel Sturdivant to setup a museum. In return the city named it Sturdivant Hall. When the city purchased the Sturdivant house not only did they receive a historic landmark, they received one of its former inhabitants. John Parkman, after his death was believed to have returned to his home to live out eternity. He has been spotted numerous times in an upstairs bedroom and gazing through a window in the cupola. He can be heard walking around upstairs opening and closing doors. He is even known to sleep on freshly made beds and leave an imprint. People have also reported seeing the apparitions of two young girls peering from the windows. Cold spots are common throughout the house, people have reported being pushed by unseen hands and shutters that are locked from the inside at night have been known to be open when staff returns in the morning. The small two story house behind the mansion that was used as a kitchen is also host to some paranormal activity. Footsteps are often heard walking across the floors, doors slam shut, pictures tilt themselves and objects that have been placed in certain locations are found elsewhere.

  

Haunted Locations: Alaska

Gakona Lodge
Gakona,Alaska
Known as one of the only remaining original roadhouses left inAlaska, it is surrounded by beauty. Located next to a National Park in theCopper Rivervalley, it maintains its purpose of providing the community with great services. Established in 1904 for travelers looking for a meal and a bed during their travels, it expanded its services to locals and eventually people started to travel to the lodge from outsideAlaska. The lodge is rumored to be haunted by a poltergeist with a sense of humor. Doors will open, close and lock on their own, stereos begin to play and many other pranks have been recorded. Visitors have seen what looked like impressions on their beds from someone jumping on it just seconds before they enter the room. Tobacco smoke can be smelt along with voices and footsteps heard in the hallway. Many investigators claim in could be coming from Natives that first settled on the land and enjoy the visitors so much they are trying to have fun with them. However, it has never been proven who or what is haunting the lodge, just that it has a great history of ghosts and you are sure to see something in one of the 9 rooms or cabins they have.

Jesse Lee Home For Children
Seward,Alaska
What started out as an orphanage for any child who needed a place to live due to abandonment or unsafe home conditions, turned into a grand 120 room home. Agnes Soule took in any child who needed help and rarely turned anyone away. Eventually her good deeds became more of a job, and she soon realized that she would need some help to build a bigger and better home for the children she had brought in. Through correspondence with her father who was a Methodist bishop in Maine, she was able to obtain funding and raised enough money to build a two building orphanage which started out in Unalaska. She named the home the Jesse Lee Home for Children, after a man who was also a Methodist preacher of the colonial northeastern United States. Eventually Miss Soule married and became Mrs. Newell, together her and her husband ran the orphanage. The home was shut down once in the early 1920’s due to the Spanish influenza that wiped out the entire Alaskan native town of the coast. The home now became a refuge for all men, women and children to get better. The expense was too high to provide care for everyone and shutting it down seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Eventually the home was emptied and children were the only residents who remained. No records exist on the names of the children that graced the doors, but there were considered to be over 120 at any given time in a year. Eventually children left, some were adopted, some grew up and left and some died from tuberculosis. In 1964 a massive earthquake rocked south central Alaska and caused disastrous results, one of the halls in the building was heavily damaged and eventually condemned and demolished. The building wasn’t the only thing the community lost. A lot of children died that day because of the buildings destruction. The Methodist church decided to close the doors. The building itself has been abandoned for over 40 yrs. It is said today that many children haunt the home, not realizing they are dead, looking for Mrs. Newell. Often, giggling and singing can be heard. The building appears to be abandoned on the outside but is full of afterlife on the inside.

  

Haunted Locations: Arizona

Fort Huachuca
Fort Huachuca,Arizona
FortHuachuca is a product of the Indian Wars of the 1870s and 1880s. In February 1877, Colonel August B. Kautz, commander of the Department of Arizona, ordered that a camp be established in theHuachucaMountains. This camp would offer protection to settlers and travel routes in southeasternArizona while simultaneously blocking the traditional Apache escape routes through the San Pedro andSanta Cruz valleys to sanctuary inMexico. A temporary camp was established at the post’s current location on March 3, 1877. The site was selected because it had fresh running water, an abundance of trees, excellent observation in three directions, and protective high ground for security against Apache tactical methods.CampHuachuca was re-designated a fort in 1882.In 1886, General Nelson A. Miles designatedFortHuachuca as his advance headquarters and forward supply base for the Geronimo campaign. Geronimo’s surrender in August 1886 practically ended the Apache danger in southernArizona. The Army closed more than 50 camps and forts in the territory, butFortHuachuca was retained because of continuing border troubles involving renegade Indians, Mexican bandits, and American outlaws. At war’s end, the fort was declared surplus and transferred to the State ofArizona. It was reactivated during the Korean War by the Army Engineers. A new era began in 1954 when control passed to the Chief Signal Officer, who found the area and climate ideal for testing electronic and communications equipment. The importance of the fort in the national defense picture grew steadily from that moment. In 1967,FortHuachuca became the headquarters of the U.S. Army Strategic Communications Command. In 1971, the post became the home of the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and School, bringing with it the School Brigade. The Strategic Communications Command became the U.S. Army Communications Command in 1973, subsequently changing to the U.S. Army Information Systems Command in 1984.In October 1990, the post changed hands with the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command became the new host command; the U.S. Army Intelligence Center andFortHuachuca now operates the post. Today,FortHuachuca is a major military installation inArizona, and one of prominence throughout the Southwest. One of the most frequently changed buildings inFortHuachuca is the Carleton House. Built in 1850 and named after Brig. General James H. Carleton the building has been home to an army post hospital, officer’s quarters, officer command center, a mess hall, a school house, a governor’s office, a vacation home and a residential home. There have been many strange happenings in the building. Many years ago, when the building was a post hospital, a woman namedCharlotte gave birth to a stillborn son and then died herself a few days later. It is believed she is the one behind all of the strange and unexplainable occurrences in the house. One of the rooms downstairs was the morgue when the building was used as a post hospital. Boxes were stacked neatly in this room only to be found opened and the contents strewn about the room when someone returned. The family could not figure out who was making the mess. The pictures that the family hung on the walls, along with the nail they hung them with would smash to the floor. The doorbell at the front door, which was actually located at the side of the house, would ring incessantly and when a family member would open the door, nobody would be there. The doorbell was eventually disabled. In the one of the rooms, which was a ward when the building was a post hospital, there was a chandelier that would operate perfectly during the day, but a night it would not. In that same room a child of the residence saw a light colored, old fashioned dress, floating in the corner, where the temperature is always much colder than the rest of the house. Residents and neighbors alike have seen a white, hazy mist floating around the inside of the house and near the front door.

Navajo County Courthouse
Holbrook,Arizona
The Navajo County Courthouse, located in Holbrook, was built in 1898 and in use until 1976. The basement of the courthouse housed jail cells from which nobody ever escaped. The courthouse became the scene of numerous notorious trials including the trial of murderer George Smiley. Smiley was convicted of having killed a railroad section foreman named McSweeney, and was scheduled to hang on December 8, 1899. After a thirty day stay of execution issued by Governor Nathan Oakes Murphy he was executed on January 8th, 1900. He would become the first and only man hanged at the courthouse. Since his execution in 1900, George Smiley’s ghost has been seen lurking around the building. According to Historical Society staff, he paces up and down the stairs, slamming doors, moving objects and making eerie noises. George Smiley isn’t the only entity that haunts the courthouse. It is believed that a person the staff identifies as “Mary” is also haunting the building. Mary was a prisoner in one of the jail cells and died while looking out the window longing for her freedom. She is seen still looking out that very same window.

Clawson House Inn Bisbee 
Bisbee,Arizona
Originally called “The Queen of the Copper Camps,” is nestled in the foothills of theMuleMountains of southeastArizona. In the 1880’s it became a boom town for miners. In 1900, it was the largest city betweenSt. Louis andSan Francisco. Bisbee was rebuilt in 1908 after being destroyed by fire. The town is also haunted by many ghosts. One of the many haunted spots in Bisbee is the Clawson House Inn. The mansion was built by Spencer Clawson, a mine manager, in 1895 and has since become a guest inn. It is believed that the spirit of his wife haunts the building. Also, haunting the inn are the ghosts of three dead miners. In the 1890’s there was a labor dispute between the miners and the Queen Mine. Outside workers were brought in to cross picket lines and fill the jobs of the strikers. Three of these men, who were staying at the Clawson House Inn, were brutally murdered and are believed to still be wandering around the inn.

The Oliver House
Bisbee,Arizona
The Oliver House is another haunted location in Bisbee. The house was built in 1909 by Edith Ann Oliver, the wife of a local mine official. Originally, the building was used as offices for mining executives and later became a boarding house for miners. The house is now a twelve room bed and breakfast. It is reported that twenty seven people have died in the house over the years. The Oliver house is believed to be haunted by five different entities. According to guests who have stayed there, footsteps can be heard wandering the hallways at night, doors and shutters open and close on their own, the sound of water running through pipes that don’t exist can be heard and revolving cold spots throughout the house are experienced. In one of the rooms a rocking chair moves to the window and rocks with no human contact. It is believed that the spirit of an old lady who used to love to rock in the window is causing this phenomenon. Most of the strange activity occurs around room thirteen. A man named Nat Anderson was shot and killed in the hallway outside of this room.

  

Haunted Locations: Arkansas

Old State House
Little Rock,Arkansas
Built in 1833, theOldState house is one of the oldest state capital buildings. John Pope was the governor at the time and had the pleasure of picking the architect responsible for the Greek revival style building. Gideon Shryock, the architect chosen for the project had trouble designing the building on a small budget and eventually passed the final plans off to his assistant George Weigart who was able to create a less expensive design plan. In 1836 whenArkansas was declared a state, government officials moved into the building, despite the construction. The State House served as a state capital until 1911 when construction was completed on a new building. It wasn’t until 1947 that theOldState house became a museum by the acts ofArkansas legislation. In 1993 the American Association of Museums declared the State house an accredited museum. In the early 1830’s, the government had created state banks, but during one of the worst depressions that the nation experienced the banks were set for doom. Once laws were being put in place and bills created people started to wonder the positives of having a state bank and felt too many restrictions were being put in place. Disputes started to occur over how the bank should organize its trades and bounties. One dispute in particular was in reference to a bill regarding putting a bounty on Wolf hides, and how the bounty would be dispensed. It resulted in a man losing his life. John Wilson the president of the Real Estate Bank at the time was challenged by a man named J.J Anthony. Anthony refused to back down from his beliefs over what should be done with the bounties and was challenged byWilson. Things quickly escalated to the point that Anthony opened his coat and exposed his knife, as though he was threateningWilson. Others claimWilson was the first to show a knife so there really are no concrete evidence on who presented a knife first. However, Anthony and Wilson both reacted at the same time and started to brawl.Wilson was slashed on the wrist and his reaction was one that has gone down in the history books, he lunged at Anthony and drove the knife right through Anthony’s heart, Anthony was dead before he hit the floor. It is believed that Wilson, the president of the bank at the time, is still wondering its halls.Wilson happened to be acquitted of all charges, claiming it was self defense what he had done to Anthony, so people believe his spirit is still haunting the halls thinking he is still president of the bank and trying to ensure order in his building. Years ago the building had been researched and it was discovered that in 1972 Elisha Baxter, who was the governor ofArkansas at the time had a dispute of his own with Joseph Brooks. Brooks claimed he had been cheated and eventually was able to throw Baxter out of office. He equipped himself with a cannon on the front lawn (the cannon is still there today) and rooted himself there so that Baxter felt too threatened to come back to the building. It was until President Grant stepped in and renamed Baxter as the official governor ofArkansas and Brooks was forced into retirement. It is believed that Brooks is still upset about the decisions made and the outcome it had on his life that in death he still roams the halls of theOldStateBuilding. Could it be both men who witnesses claim they see roaming the halls, causing loud footsteps when no ne is around, or sending chills down ones back? You may have to find out for yourself to know for sure.

The Crescent Hotel
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Sitting on the crest of theWestMountain in Eureka Springs is the Crescent Hotel. Some might say it is a scene out of a eerie movie, others find its Goth like presence beautiful and peaceful atop the hill. Built from 1884 to 1886 the Haunted Crescent hotel is home to many spirits. Eureka Springs also has what some consider being “healing waters”, people would travel from all over the country to enjoy the bubbling waters and take advantage of what was believed to be the cure for sicknesses. The Crescent Hotel has a very unique structure to it, housing a number of towers, stone fireplaces, overhanging balconies and a dinning room that could seat more than 400 guests. People enjoyed a peaceful stay during the early 1900’s, but it was eventually taken over by the Frisco Railroads and was leased as a summer hotel. This venture did not last long, due to the number of tourist who realized the water had no healing powers so the railroad lost revenue and was convinced to close down the building. The Hotel had it’s up’s and downs for many years becoming a college for young women, a summer resort and then what some people in town considered the reason for the haunting a hospital resort. In 1937, Norman Baker took over ownership of the building and believed he could run a hospital/Resort. Baker also believed he had the cure for cancer, which was simply just drinking the “holy water” of the land. Baker himself never committed murder even though people believed his remedies were silly and believed he was a fraud. Eventually Baker’s run at the hotel came to an end and he left and the building. It is believed Baker left lasting memories for any remodeling company that comes in. Human bones have been found in the walls throughout the years. No one knows how many for sure are within the walls of the crescent hotel, but they do believe that these are the lost spirits that the guests at the Crescent hotel have experienced. There have been several reported hauntings in this hotel. One in particular is in room 218, workers at the hotel claim it is the spirit of a workman who fell off the roof into the second floor and landed in what is now 218. Guests of that room have witnessed door slamming shut, footsteps when no one else was in the room and one man was actually shook awake and when he awoke saw nothing but heard footsteps running away from him. Other guests have seen an older man with a mustache and beard around the lobby and bar. At the bar he can be seen just sitting and not interacting with anyone. People have tried to talk to this man but he never responds, and then moments later he vanishes. Also a nurse has been seen pushing a gurney down the hall and disappearing into the wall. Workers at the hotel claim she is an employee of Baker’s, who workers also claim wanders the halls still trying to convince people he has the cure for Cancer. An eerie story that is still being told today about Baker and his remedies is that he believed he had the cure for a brain tumor and that was to cut open the scalp and poor the water of the land and brown sugar on the brain. No one knew how many times he practiced this remedy or if it worked. And could the skeletons found be those of the people who he practiced his remedies on? One of the eeriest stories told about the Crescent Hotel is about the hotels antique switchboard that is inactive and locked up in the basement. Workers claim that a phone connected to the antique switchboard will ring and the only way that is possible is if someone is using the switchboard in the basement. However, that switchboard has not been running for several years. One worker went downstairs to check and see if maybe someone was playing with it and found it off the hook. When he questioned the employees that day, no one was down there nor did they want to go down there. Believe what you want about the Crescent Hotel but over the years many people have had some form of strange experiences that has left them with incredible stories for people to talk about for years to come.